Medicare / Medicaid Overview


MEDICARE, administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is a federal insurance program for (1) people 65 and over, (2) people who have received Social Security Disability for 24 consecutive months or (3) people suffering from chronic kidney disease. 

How to Apply for MEDICARE?
  1. Call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at
  2. A SSA representative will ask for your social security number (may need husband’s if wife never worked) and will arrange an appointment for you at a nearby SSA office to complete an application.

  What is MEDICAID?

MEDICAID is the state's health care program for certain low-income persons of all ages who don't have the money to pay for medical services or a long-term care community stay. For a person to receive services under the Kansas Medicaid Program, they must meet three basic eligibility requirements to qualify: (1) a general / non-financial test; (2) an income test; and (3) a resource test. 

How to Apply for MEDICAID?
  1. Contact your local Kansas Department for Children and Families [DCF] office.
  2. Ask for an application for medical assistance to be mailed to you.
  3. Complete the application and make an appointment to see a caseworker at SRS. Items and information you should take with you, but may not be limited to:
    • Proof of age and citizenship
    • Proof of Social Security Number
    • All Medical cards, including Medicare card, if appropriate
    • Proof of ALL income
    • Three months of most recent bank statements
    • Most recent statement from depository account [401(k), CDs, bonds, IRAs, et al]
    • Information regarding Life Insurance
    • Information regarding Burial Plots and Plans
    • Information regarding any Real Property, ie real estate, cars, boats, oil rights, et al
    • Copies of Power of Attorney or Guardianship papers
    • Proof of any outstanding Medical bills 

If you are unsure if your family member or loved one will qualify for Kansas Medicaid, use the Planning for Nursing Home Costs Worksheet created by the State of Kansas or review their How Do I Pay for My Nursing Home Care? 





Outside Agencies

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services

Kansas Department for Children and Families

Kansas Medicaid


Veteran's Administration

Social Security Administration

Alzheimer’s Association

American Heart Association

American Stroke Foundation

American Diabetes Association

Ombudsman Service

CARE Assessments

The CARE assessment meets the federal Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR) admission requirement for Medicaid-certified nursing facilities. It applies to all residents, regardless of payment source. The purpose of PASRR is to screen for mental illness, mental retardation, and related conditions to determine if long-term community placement is appropriate.

To order a CARE Assessment, please contact the Johnson County Area Agency on Aging.

5 Things You Need To Know

  1. If this is an emergency, please call 911 so that medical professionals can assist with administering urgent care to your friend or loved one immediately.
  2. If there is a Health Care Directive, make sure you have accessibility to that document. It will allow communication with medical professionals much easier.
  3. Know how to get in touch with your friend or loved one's primary medical provider in order to access medical records that can provide a supplementary medical history and current medications that have been prescribed.
  4. Once your friend or loved one has gotten to a point where they have stabilized - catch your breath. Activity to this point has been moving pretty fast; however, know that there are plenty of medical professionals that are waiting to help you through this time of crisis. Know that you and your family don't have to do this by yourself.
  5. Contact us. We excel at working with families to find solutions to their friend or loved one's medical crisis.